In recent weeks, more and more people in the world are relying on data. This is due to the terribly unfortunate novel coronavirus. As a “data person”, I am following the data much more than normal.
It got me thinking about how as marketers we’re constantly faced with old, out-of-date and poorly kept data. I was on a call with Angela Sun, Director of Marketing for Hull.io and she pointed me to their blog post which covers this topic in three succinct chapters. I encourage you to check out their post on data quality in B2B marketing.
Here is a quick synopsis:
Without clean data, personalization doesn’t work. Not only that, but important information needed to carry out business with someone could be completely wrong. Eg. their email address.
- Bring all of your data into one place
- Define a consistent identity resolution strategy
- Create data source groups, followed by a unified data group
- Use data processing tools
- Implement third-party data enrichment
- Whitelist certain segments to prevent bad data circulation
- Use defensive coding as a failsafe
Lastly, from myself and my company, I wish everyone who is reading this the best during these really crazy times. Please stay safe and healthy.